This spring, DVRPC expects to open a competitive funding round for the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Program to select new projects in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Mercer counties, including the cities of Camden and Trenton. Up to $5 million is expected to be available for projects that will:
- Improve air quality and/or
- Reduce traffic congestion.
Projects must be authorized in Federal Fiscal Years (FFY) 2022, 2023, or 2024 (the federal fiscal year begins Oct. 1 and ends Sept. 30).
Eligible Projects and Applicants
Projects must meet the Clean Air Act (CAA) requirements and result in reduced emissions related to transportation, reduced congestion, and the public good. CMAQ-eligible examples include but are not limited to:
- congestion reduction and traffic flow improvements (e.g., traffic signal optimization, interconnection, or actuation, dynamic message signs, modern roundabouts, intersection improvements that do not add capacity);
- pedestrian and bicycle projects (e.g., new bike share infrastructure, new bike lanes on existing streets, or new non-motorized facilities that demonstrate Single-Occupancy Vehicle reduction and not exclusively recreational);
- transit vehicle purchases or operating assistance for a new or expanded public service; and
- intermodal freight, etc.
Restrictions may apply.
All public agencies, incorporated private firms, or nonprofit entities, including municipalities, Transportation Management Associations (TMAs), and transportation system operators, that serve the DVRPC New Jersey region are invited to apply. Private firms and nonprofits must partner with a local public agency sponsor and have a formal agreement in place with the public agency at the time of funding award. Private individuals are not eligible to apply.
Application and Program Guidance
CMAQ Competitive Program application forms and program guidance are expected to be available in March at www.dvrpc.org/CMAQ. The application period, at this time, is expected to close at the end of May 2020.
Please direct questions to Kwan Hui at email@example.com or 215-238-2894.